Thursday, August 18, 2011

Mother's Mayhem

Sometimes being a mom just makes me bone weary.

This week Ken has been out of town…again.

I’m tired. And I think I must be coming down with a cold.

I blame Luke. (You might think that is harsh, but keep reading.)

This is how my week began….

Sunday mornings are always “fun” around here. Ken has early morning church meeting, we have church at 9:00 a.m., and Kadie is my only child who is a morning person. Reilly is simply sluggish in the morning. But Luke and Aidan…Watch Out!

Sacrament meeting on Sunday was pleasant, except for the small altercations breaking out down the bench from me. Oh, and Luke really had to go to the bathroom…twice. Ken took him the first time, but we figured the second time was a ruse, so we just tried to pretend he wasn’t loudly threatening to wet his pants for the last 15 minutes of the meeting. He seemed to get even louder when I had to walk up to the pulpit to give the closing prayer, but maybe that’s just my imagination.

3 Primary teachers were no shows.

I caught up on choir pianist practice and attended choir practice in the afternoon.

Ken had a Stake Priesthood meeting to attend in the evening, so Reilly helped me get dinner on as soon as we returned home form choir practice. Then Ken left me all alone.

I’m reading a book to the older children, The Twinkie Squad. (Thanks for the recommendation Kayann.) We are all enjoying it…with the exception of Luke. Aidan asked me if I could read to them at bed time. Luke was adamant I not read that book. “I hate Twinkie Squad,” he yelled. He only calmed down after I promised to read him some of his library books after I had finished a chapter in that book. Only problem is he fell asleep during 1 chapter. (Well, I didn’t really think that was a problem at the time. I was kind of overjoyed at that particular point in time.)

Fast forward to 12:45 a.m. Luke came in my room, dragging his library bag and demanding I read him books. He was not phased when I pointed out it was pitch black and the middle of the night. It took me almost 25 minutes to calm him down. (There was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.) I finally consented to letting him sleep in my bed if he would just stop asking me to read books (I was really tired.)

We settled down. I thought he was most certainly almost asleep when he said, “Mom, get me some food!”

You can probably guess what happened next.

No comments:

Post a Comment