Sunday, September 19, 2010

Big Bang Weekend

My bestest friend Britten came all the way from Pennsylvania to see me...I mean to see her brother. So I loaded up my kids, very early in the morning on the 3rd of July so we could drive to Kansas City and spend the day with her family. Ken decided to go to Scout Camp instead. I guess he had obligations or something, him being in the YM presidency.





So I went to the big city and I didn't get lost once...on the way there. We met up with the Wheelers for some fun crafts at the mall. Each of my kids made their Dad a card expressing their overwhelming sadness at his absence. Phrases such as, "too bad you couldn't come" abounded. Then we went to the hot and muggy farmer's market where we waited in line FOREVER for balloon animals that, sadly, did not last even close to forever. After all the hot, mugginess, we cooled off at Cocoa Key. My kids were loathe to leave, actually so was I because who knows when I'll see Britten again. We were all tired and ready for the ride home. Good thing we had the audio version of Septimus Heap to keep us awake. (That is after I finally found my way out of Kansas City.)




I was so ready for bed when we rolled into Lincoln at 9:30. I didn't know, however, that you can only buy fireworks on the 3rd and 4th of July here in Lincoln and you may only light them off on those days as well. Everyone takes full advantage of the limited time. I failed to mention that the airborne variety of fireworks are legal here. Those are much louder than the wimpy ones that stay on the ground...in case you were wondering. So, I didn't get any sleep until maybe 2:30 a.m....both nights. Did I mention I was solo parenting. Oh well. Now I know what to expect next year. And yes, Ken will most likely be at Scout Camp over the 4th next year too. Apparently they can only get Mormons to come to the camp over that date. Weird! On the plus side, I didn't buy any of our own fire works, but all of our neighbors put on bang up shows, so we just pulled out some camp chairs and enjoyed the sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment