Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beautiful Butterflies

We have a year membership to the Lincoln Zoo. It is a cut little zoo. I took the kids on a couple of excursions there over the summer. There is a very stinky reindeer, some bats, naked mole rats--a Hessing kid favorite. Pony rides are $3.00--I don't think so. You can feed some rather aggressive goats--if you want to pay--or your kids could just find dropped food pellets on the ground and use those. Next we move on to examining animal pelts and an introduction to small rodents--living, scurrying ones. A quick walk-by of the wallabies and we can take a rest and play in the sandbox.


Our zoo also features some lazy camels, swimming turtles, otters, flamingos, and they are gearing up for a new penguin display.


They just opened a new butterfly house. You walk in under the direction of a zoo volunteer (so as not to let any of our winged friends escape to freedom). Another zoo volunteer will squirt your hand with a sugar solution to attract butterflies, if you so desire. Luke loves the "beautiful butterflies!"

One of the little beauties landed on Kadie's glasses. I instructed her to hold still while I got a picture, but she was too freaked out by the close encounter, so Reilly donned the glasses for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment