Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Artist/Construction Engineer


Reilly made a pot for art class.

She was distressed that some of her abstract embellishments fell off during the process, but I think it turned out rather nicely.

Reilly also had an assignment to construct a model of a two story building for Science class. The buildings were to undergo a simulated earthquake during class on Friday. Reilly had the assignment for a few weeks. She had all sorts of ideas for building material to make a durable edifice, but she didn’t get down to the execution until two days before the assignment was due. She decided to make her building out of baked playdough. Unfortunately she got to the baking stage the night before her project was due and the stuff didn’t bake right. It kind of melted and oozed instead. We left it to cool overnight and she got up to “fix it” early the next morning. While I went for a run she whipped up a pretty interesting house with semi-soft playdough, cardboard, duct tape, a Tupperware container, and a glue gun. The whole contraption was leaning precariously on the drive to school. I said, “I don’t think your house is even going to survive the trip in to school, let alone an earthquake.” Reilly replied,” That’s not the point. It wouldn’t be interesting if some of the buildings weren’t destroyed.” (I’m glad she is so willing to think of the well-being of others.) When I picked her up from school she informed me that her house had survived the first two earthquakes and finally met its demise in the third. Everyone’s building had been demolished in the third earthquake. I am truly amazed. I wish I had pictures of the house to share so you could be amazed with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment