Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kadie’s orchestra concert


Kadie: I thought it was really exciting and fun. From that concert I learned a lot more about my instrument. Like the cello’s full name is violincello. And that more than one cello are celli.

Reilly: I remember going and standing off to the side so I could see Kadie and then some snobby adult told me and Aidan if we kept misbehaving, and we weren’t doing anything, that we would have to go sit back down.

Aidan: It was exciting.

Ken: I remember the Ants Song. I remember how good they sounded.

Sarah: I was a little apprehensive about the concert. Would it take two hours? Would we be subjected to hoe-down purgatory?...No and No!

Only the beginning orchestra played at this concert. It was still a packed house though. We got seats on the second to last row. (I swear, some of the parents must have been camping out at the school since it let out for the day, just so they could sit in the first row.) Luke woke up from a nap 5 minutes before the start of the concert and was not happy. Ken took him to get a drink. Reilly asked if she could stand to the side of the audience so she could see Kadie better. Aidan went to the restroom, came and sat down, went to get a drink, came back and sat down, went to find Luke and Dad, came back and sat down. The concert began. Aidan asked if he could go stand with Reilly. (The woman next to us was getting agitated at Aidan tripping over her feet every 2 minutes.)

The orchestra demonstrated their progress nicely. Boy can they play “Hot Cross Buns.” My favorite was “Seminole Chant.” The most they played any tune was twice…just had to mention that. (Thank you Mrs. Ladman) Aidan tripped over our neighbor once again…well twice again… to come and tell us that Reilly was crying. No, she wasn’t moved by the beauty of the music. Some cranky adult had upset her when he scolded them for speaking during the concert. Aidan wasn’t at all upset by the encounter. Then again, he seemed pretty oblivious to our concert neighbor looking daggers at him for her bruised shins, so he may not have even registered that the man was peeved.

Ken had to run over to Youth Activity night immediately after the concert, so we congratulated Kadie and calmed Reilly, then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment