Sunday, April 10, 2011

Kadie is an old lady


Our Kadie turned 10 in March. Her birthday was on Saturday and we had planned to spend the day in Omaha at the zoo and such. Unfortunately, the weather turned nasty (just in time for Spring Break) and Ken had to spend the morning at Urgent Care receiving some stitches after a particularly violent round of Church basketball.

I made homemade bagels the day before so I could fit a Saturday run in with a friend, Ken could make it to his afore mentioned game, and Kadie would still have a special breakfast when she woke up. (Yes…my bagels are very special if I do say so) Reilly even put a candle in Kadie’s bagel, lit it, and made Luke and Aidan sing Happy Birthday to her. (How sweet. Sweet enough I guess I’ll overlook the fact that she was banned from using matches after Ken and I returned home one evening and spent 20 frantic minutes trying to figure out what smelled like it was burning while she feigned ignorance until Kadie cracked and said Reilly had been burning candles in our absence.)

After Ken got his nose taken care of at the Urgent care, Ken and I surprised Kadie with a new birthday bike. Ahe also opened a package from Grandma and Grandpa Black containg a new birthday outfit, which prompted an immediate wardrobe change, and some great books by Richard Peck.

Kadie decided she wanted to go to the movies to seeGnomeo and Juliet. She’d already seen the film with some friends, but wanted to see it again. (I think her request is even stranger after viewing the film myself, but WHATEVER.) We then had a nice lunch at Panera…if you consider nice having a three year old scream at you for 20 minutes for giving him water instead of soda.

Some truths about the birthday girl:

She has the silkiest hair. Really…it lays flat and everything…I’m so jealous.

She is getting quite good at playing the cello. I must mention that she was very gung ho about practicing at the start of the year and her enthusiasm for such pastimes has waned in recent months. Unfortunately for Kadie, her Grandma Black has drilled into her mother the importance of not letting your children quit their musical pursuits. So, she will have to stick it out.

She loves to practice the piano.

She is very good at drawing and she spends hours and reams of paper making masterpieces to display. (Our refrigerator has never looked so good.)

She can eat girls twice her size under the table. I seriously do not know where she puts it all.

She is a good friend.

She hates to clean her room, but if I make an issue out of it, she hops to and shoves everything in the closet. Presto! Clean room.

Her favorite food is spaghetti. And lately she has been eating bushels of clementines.

She shares a room with her sister, which is adjacent to my bathroom. At night I can hear them cackling and occasionally teasing each other. They don’t like to admit it, but they like each other.

We are so glad Kadie is a part of our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment