Imagine my surprise when I received an e-mail form Lincoln public libraries on Saturday informing me that Reilly had one overdue book. I mean we never return our books late. That would be irresponsible not to mention the fines. (I'm being sarcastic here in case you were wondering.)
The thing was, Reilly had been begging and pleading to go to the library the entire week previous because she had finished all her books and was languishing in literary oblivion. I packed all my kids and their books up LAST Saturday, way before their due date, and we made a library run. So why was that book not returned???
I confronted Reilly with the e-mail. "I swear I turned it in Mom." Well, then why are the sending us messages of delinquency? After some thought she concluded that she had placed all her other books in the book return slot, but kept that one and proceeded to the back of the library where she re-shelved it. I did have my doubts at this suggestion, so I sent her to scour her room again before we decided that the only option left was indeed to return to the library and check for her book on the shelf.
There were indeed two books matching the description of the missing book on the library shelf. I explained our odd dilemma to a very understanding librarian and she confirmed that one of the books was the one Reilly had checked out on her card. She kindly forgave the fine, seeing as how if someone had really wanted to check it out it was there and available.
While speaking with said librarian I noticed a form enabling 6th-8th graders to volunteer at the library during the summer. Reilly readily agreed. We filled out the form with the usual vital information. Then they asked what she would like to learn from her experience. Reilly proceeded to write..."How to shelve books."
No comments:
Post a Comment